Whole30 Beef Stroganoff
This Beef Stroganoff is creamy, tangy, and delicious! Try it over cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or my favorite, spiralized sweet potatoes!
- 1.5 lbs Beef/steak sliced about 1/2 inch thick (I like round steak, or a flat iron steak)
- 16 ounces Whole mushrooms (Washed and sliced thick)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2-1 tsp Salt (Salt more or less according to preference)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Potato Flour
- 2 cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Cups Beef Broth (Check your labels. Use beef bone broth if needed)
- 1/2 cup Fresh chopped parsley (Optional- For garnish)
- 5.3 Ounce container COYO Coconut milk yogurt (Compliant for cooking purposes. But not for eating with fruit and nuts while on Whole30 ;). If you can't find COYO, you could use coconut cult yogurt, or just plain coconut milk/cream. You won't get the tangy effect from coconut milk though. If using coconut milk, start with 1/2 cup. )
Add about 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil to a medium/large skillet and bring to medium heat. Toss in sliced Mushrooms, sprinkle with some salt, and cook until just softened and slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside
While the mushrooms are browning, combine minced garlic, coconut aminos, unsweetened applesauce, and beef broth in a bowl
Leave the heat on medium, add 2-3 Tablespoons of ghee and put in your sliced steak. Brown steak (does not need to be cooked fully through). Try to brown all sides though. Mine took about 5-6 minutes total.
Once steak is browned, sprinkle with potato flour, and stir quickly to coat the beef and cook flour (It will burn to the pan if you leave it sit too long). This step should only take 45 seconds- 1 minute
Pour the liquid mixture from above over steak. Add the previously cooked mushrooms back in. Bring to a quick boil, and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and allow to simmer for about 45min-1 hour.
Right before you are to serve, stir in Coyo coconut yogurt (or coconut milk/cream if you are using that).
Garnish with Parsley
serve over base of choice. Ideas are cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, sweet potato noodles, cauliflower mash, etc.