Crispy Potatoes make all the difference, am I right?!
But for real, I have a serious love for crispy, salty, flavorful potatoes and these ones are just the ticket for that satisfaction! By now, you know the name of my game is quick, simple, and with minimal mess. Sometimes I stray away from that and spend hours in my kitchen working on something because, well, sometimes I enjoy it. But as a busy mom of 2 with another one on the way, I like to get in and get out of that kitchen when I can!
You also know by now, that even though I don’t live Whole30 365 days a year, it is a very solid foundation in our diet and lifestyle at this point. So most of the recipes I create are Whole30 compliant, paleo, or both. We just really feel our best that way so we stay pretty dang close to it!
A couple of quick tips!
- The ingredient amounts listed below will make enough for about 2 adults + a few small kids. This recipe can be easily made for more, it just depends on your cast iron skillet size! I have a smaller one and a HUGE one! I don’t bust the huge one out very often, because we just don’t need to use it that much. But, If I were feeding more than just my family, I would definitely use the bigger one, and just up my ingredients accordingly
- For Example: If I wanted to feed 4 adults. I would use a bigger skillet and use about 10 potatoes, 10 cloves of garlic, a full tablespoon of chopped rosemary, 1 tsp Kosher salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, and 2 Tbsp’s of ghee for the skillet (cook times will remain the same!)
- So basically for every 2 adults you add, double your amounts (and make sure your skillet can hold it!)
- Make sure you don’t overcrowd your skillet or the potatoes won’t brown and become crispy. A trick I like to do, is to set my skillet next to my cutting board. As I cut potatoes, I toss them in the skillet to make sure they can all have a piece of the skillet property. You don’t want them stacked on each other. They need to be in a single layer. Thats how you can decide on your skillet size and ingredient amounts!
Check the full recipe below!
And if you’re looking for something to pair these with for dinner, check out my Creamy Mushroom Skillet Chicken Recipe!
Crispy Rosemary and Garlic Oven Skillet Potatoes (Whole30 and Paleo)
These crispy potatoes come together in a snap and require minimal ingredients but pack a ton of awesome flavor!
- 5 Red Potatoes
- 5 garlic cloves- peeled
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt + 1/4 tsp for boiling potatoes
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Rosemary
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Wash your potatoes and then cut each potato into 4-6 pieces depending on its size
Slice your peeled garlic cloves in to 2-4 slices depending on their size
In a small dish, combine your kosher salt and paprika and stir to mix. Set aside
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place potatoes in water, add 1/4 tsp of salt, and set timer for 4 minutes. You’ll want 3 minutes of active boiling time, so 4 minutes will give it time to return to a boil after adding the potatoes.
Once the timer goes off, drain your potatoes
Place your cast iron skillet over medium heat and add ghee to it. Once your pan is hot (ghee sizzles if you flick a tiny bit of water into it), add your potatoes and arrange them so each one has a cut side down on the skillet. Sprinkle in your garlic clove slices
Set timer for 6 minutes and do not touch or stir the potatoes during this time. You want them to brown.
After 6 minutes, gently stir the potatoes. Sprinkle 1/2 of the salt and paprika mixture on the potatoes. Stir again. sprinkle remaining spice mixture.
Place cast iron skillet in your preheated oven. Set timer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, remove skillet and sprinkle potatoes with chopped rosemary. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and Enjoy!