Holiday Spirit Coming In Hot!
I don’t know about you, but I’m totally one of those people that once November 1st hits, I’m all things holidays and my spirits just naturally start to rise! I get excited for the drop in temperatures, shorter days (I know, so weird, who likes that?!), and for us just more cozy days spent at home moving a bit more slowly. I also get all kinds of excited for meals around the holidays. This roasted squash dish is just what the holidays need this year as it won’t ruin the healthy efforts you’ve spent so much time working on!
So many people get to the holidays and immediately dump all the hard work they’ve put in the rest of the year to just indulge in all the food, alcohol, and treats. And while I always support the practicing of food freedom, I know there’s a fine line between food freedom and out-of-control for the holidays.
Which is why I like to keep our meals as clean and close to our normal habits as possible so that the few treats that are “worth it” to me that I choose to indulge in, do not set off a cycle of binging, guilt, and shame that just circles and circles until the new year hits.
It’s something that’s taken me some time to really grasp super tightly onto, but I always find myself feeling better through the holidays, more in control, in a better place mentally, and not beating myself up by January 1st if I just keep things in check. So, I’m here to help provide you ideas and recipes for how to keep your meals around the holidays as clean as possible……and easy! Because you know that’s totally my jam!
Ok- Let’s get to the food!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 Acorn squash
- spray olive or coconut oil
- kosher salt
- cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 lb sugar free bacon
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- lay your bacon slices out flat on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- place the bacon in a cold oven
- turn your oven on at 400 degrees and set a timer to 18-20 min
- check bacon when timer goes off (You’ll want crispier bacon for this recipe but don’t burn it!)
- Remove from oven when golden and crispy. Place on paper towel lined plate to rest
- While bacon is cooking, slice your delicata squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds, then cut into half moons (about 1/2″ thick)
- Cut your acorn squash in half, remove seeds, and cut into half moons also about 1/2″ thick
- Lay acorn squash out on baking sheet, spray with oil, generously sprinkle with salt and cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice
- Place in oven for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes remove from oven, stir and add delicata squash to baking sheet as well.
- spray and season delicata squash the same as acorn squash
- place in oven for 10 minutes
- remove and stir after 10 minutes and return to oven for final 10 minutes
- chop cooled bacon into bacon bit pieces
- add roasted squash to serving dish, add bacon bit pieces, and 1/2 cup of fresh pomegranate seeds, stir and serve
Want more?!- Check out my other healthy recipes!